24 May Signs a Career as an Accounting Technician is for You
An accounting technician manages accounting tasks for a business including bookkeeping, invoicing, budgeting and tax. Here are the signs you’d make a good accounting technician:
- an interest in business and finance
- a meticulous and methodical approach
- strong numeracy skills
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- IT literacy & experience with spreadsheets
- the ability to work as part of a team
- problem-solving skills
- the ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- discretion when handling confidential information.
You want to…
- assist in the preparation of accounts
- deal with basic bookkeeping
- process and pay invoices
- record receipts and payments
- prepare and check ledger balances and other monthly and yearly accounts
- complete and submit tax returns, VAT returns and National Insurance contributions
- handle company expenses and payroll systems that pay wages and salaries.
You don’t mind…
- An office-based work environment
- Conducting further education studies and work experience to enter the profession
The two vocational qualification routes include the AAT Accounting Qualification and the ACCA Certified Accounting Technician Qualification (CAT). Entry requirements for these qualifications are flexible, with only a reasonable level of literacy and numeracy required.
Apprenticeships offer paid work experience alongside the necessary training. A minimum of one year’s work experience is required for full AAT membership. Another way to gain work experience would be to contact accountancy firms to enquire about work placement opportunities.
Search all accounting jobs on our vacancies page.
Article source: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/accounting-technician